One of the most-asked questions by our clients is “What should my fiancé and I wear to our engagement session?” Is this a question that you are struggling with too? To make it a little less stressful for you, here are some tips that we have put together.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- Be sure to coordinate with each other. You do not want to wear anything that is too similar to one another. You do want to match, but it needs to be done with style. If you dress matching too closely, it will take away from the focus of you and your fiancé. A great way to match without overdoing it would be to find a tie similar to the color of the dress/skirt. You do not have to wear the exact same shade of a color to match and to be honest, having two shades of the same color is usually more appealing.
- Be sure that your styles are similar. This is mainly focused towards the guys. If your fiancée is going to dress up in a nice dress, do her a favor and come dressed nicely as well. We all know that you wouldn’t mind wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but remember that you will be spending the rest of your life with your fiancée so don’t make her upset already!
- Be sure to wear something with simple patterns or solid colors. Wearing something that is elegant generally looks better in pictures. This means NO BIG LOGOS! When someone wears an outfit with a large logo, it draws the attention away from the beautiful couple.
- Be sure to wear clothing that fits appropriately. It is important to wear clothing that is comfortable, but also stylish. You do not want to wear anything that is really baggy because it will result in you looking larger than you are in the pictures. These are your engagement pictures and you want to look great in them!
- Be sure to bring a variety of outfits to change into. It is essential to wear clothing that complements the scenery around you. You want to make sure that what you are wearing goes well with the location. Our couple’s will usually bring 2 or 3 outfits that vary based on the location and time allowed. We typically try to have at least one wardrobe change per shoot. If you choose to bring multiple outfit changes, bring one that is dressier as well as one that is more casual.
- Be sure to wear clothes that you are comfortable in! You want to look comfortable in your pictures. Your clothing should be a representation of who you are both individually and as a couple. Make sure that you do not wear clothing that you are going to regret.
- Be sure to bring accessories. This does not mean that every accessory you bring has to be used, but the more variety, the better. It is amazing how much of a difference a simple piece of jewelry, scarf, etc. will make. When it comes to accessories, the brighter they are, the more pop they will make in the pictures!
We hope that these tips are helpful to you and your fiancé as you prepare for your upcoming shoot. The outfit is not the most important thing when it comes to pictures, but what you wear does make a difference in how they look. Take some of these tips and apply them to your attire for the session and just have fun together. After all, the most important thing in any photo-session is enjoying the person that means so much to you!